Ah, our lovely Canadian winters. There’s nothing nicer than being inside on a cold Vancouver day, drinking something warm by a fire after a day of skiing, snowshoeing or a walk on the beach. And then it gets old. The grey, the cold, the dark mornings. At some stage during the winter, many Vancouverites flock to the sun for a break.
When you travel, remember to take some precautions to keep your home safe, for the sake of both your belongings and your home insurance policy.
Keep your home maintained
- Disconnect all your devices such as computers, tv and appliances.
- Protect your valuables by keeping them in a safety deposit box or well away from windows.
- Keep your curtains slightly open.
- Put your lights on timers so it looks like someone is home both during the day and in the evening.
- Talk to your neighbours. Tell them you’ll be away so they can keep an eye out for suspicious activity.
- Don’t leave your garbage bins out.
- Have your mail collected every few days.
- Put a hold on your newspaper delivery.
- Have someone care for your plants and garden.
- Turn off your air conditioning.
- Shut off the water supply if it won’t be in use while you’re away.
Careful with those selfies
Keep in mind that if you post photographs on social media while you’re away, burglars may see an opportunity, and your insurance company may see a problem. Check your home insurance policy and you may find a clause stating cover is questioned if you’re away for more than a few days and you haven’t taken proper care with your heating, plumbing or water supply.
The good news? It may also state that insurance will be covered if you have arranged for a competent person to enter your dwelling to ensure proper maintenance.
Leave It To Me can help protect your home and your insurance policy.
We can check your home on a daily basis to make it looked lived in, ensure your water, plumbing and heating are running correctly, collect your mail, water your plants, collect your garbage bins, care for your pet, even stock your fridge with groceries so you return home even more relaxed.